Tuesday, June 26, 2018

Shannon Ridge  2015 Cabernet Sauvignon  High Elevation Collection  Lake County CA

I remember trying a bottle from this winery a few years ago somewhere, it was okay and interesting but not available locally at the time. I found this bottle in the powerbuy section at the West Leb Liquor outlet store. There is also another offering from this winery in the same section, a reserve bottling that I haven't tried yet...

The '15 Cabernet High Elevation bottling sources grapes from 3 different vineyards that are between 1200' and 2400'   the areas are; High Valley, Red Hills, and Big Valley. The wine is aged 12 months in French and American oak.

When first opened, notes of blackberry and cranberry, a hint of black plum, and there is something in the nose that reminds me of other wines i've tried from the Lodi area.... I can't quite put my finger on what it is, but it's interesting. I taste blackberry, cranberry, cherry, the tannins are slightly chalky in texture but not overly so. The finish is pleasant and lingers nicely...

Day 2 the nose has become more balanced between the 3 berries, I think the cherry is more noticable. The chalky texture in the mouth has smoothed out, and the palate has a nice, slightly thick mouth feel with the cherry flavor first, then the blackberry and plum follow. Pleasantly tart on the finish with nice tannins.

Right now at not quite 3 years of age, this wine would be nice with food that has some fat in it, grilled sausages, steak tips, a nice Demonico steak, boneless chicken thighs marinated in olive oil, fresh garlic and sea salt.... bbq chicken from the grill would be okay too.

I am intrigued enough by this wine to consider buying 6 bottles and lay them down in the cellar to see what evolves over the next 4 to 5 years, I don't think I'll be disappointed... in the meantime the pricepoint in the powerbuy section is $9.99 per bottle (half price), and until July 1st you get an additional 15% off if you buy a case or more... are you kidding me?!  go try a bottle and tell me what you think.

Cheers!

Ed

 

No comments:

Post a Comment