Sunday, September 30, 2018

Weingut Umbricht Untersiggenthal Switzerland



I was introduced to this winery 2 years ago during a visit to family here in Switzerland, it's located 5 minutes from one of my cousins. We were at restaurant Steinenbuhl that serves wines from the surrounding area, and my wife was having fondue. My wife saw that there were local wines on the menu and asked my cousin for his recommendation. 

Vik suggested the Sauvignon blanc from this winery, it was a good match for the fondue, nice nose of melon, citrus, similar flavors on the tongue, not sweet but not completely dry either, good mouthfeel with enough acidity to cleanse the palate from the cheese.

The Sauvignon blanc is very popular locally, enough so that when we stopped today to purchase the wines you see in the picture, the bin for it was empty.... I have tried their regular Pinot, and the Cabernet/Malbec blend and would highly recommend them to anyone. The Chardonnay just won a gold medal at an international competiton, and I'm sampling the Spatlese Pinot Noir now.

The grapes for the Spatlese (later picked) must have been in great condition, spot on old world color, beautiful nose of cherry, cola, a spicy note, with matching flavors in the mouth. Just right mouthfeel with a deft touch of oak barrel aging, nice lingering finish of fruit and spice.... this is good by itself or with food, very well made.

Their wines come in either 500ml or 750ml bottles, priced between 10Chf and 19Chf depending on bottle size and variety of grape. I can see why 95% of Swiss wines never make it out of the country, good to great wine at good prices. If only I had a wine cellar here.... well, then I'd be broke...

The picture is one of Umbricht's vineyards in Untersiggenthal.

Cheers!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment