Sunday, November 17, 2019

COLLIVO  2010  Merlot  Ticino  Switzerland

I bought this wine during one of our visits with family in Switzerland, it had been mentioned in Hugh Johnson's pocket wine book as one worth seeking out if you happened to be in country.

The reserve was only $5.00 more than the regular bottling, so that's the one that came home with me. I had purchased 2 bottles, and opened one there to gauge where the wine was in its development. Based on my impressions from other young red wines, I felt it needed some time in the cellar. It had great fruit and structure, but the tannins were very strong and needed food that had plenty of fat to balance them. So it's sat on a bottom rack in the cellar for 5 years, and I'm glad that I waited for it to come into balance.

At 9 years of age it's in the sweet spot, notes of cherry, raspberry, red plum and tobacco leaf in the nose, cherry and plum on the palate with just right tannins, acidity and a hint of underbrush that reflects the warm, dry conditions found in the Italian speaking region. A nice, not too thin or thick mouthfeel with a pleasant finish of the fruit flavors that fades nicely. So good...

You can sip it by itself, or enjoy it with food. I tried it with some good Parmesan, no bread or crackers, it was a very good match. I also had an antipasto plate that had herbed kalamata olives, cherry tomatoes, Mozzarella pearls, fresh basil leaves, and a sliced, grilled Italian sausage.  It brings me back to evenings hanging out with my cousins on their patio on a nice evening... enjoying life one moment at a time.

You'll have to travel to Switzerland to find this wine, or any of the other very good wines that are produced there by dedicated Winemakers working small vineyards. The cost was about $20 for this bottling, a great value for a well made wine that reflects where the grapes were grown.

Put a visit to Switzerland's wine growing regions on your bucket list, and you'll understand why 95% of all wine production is consumed in country or within 20 kilometers of the border. They know a good thing when they taste it...

Cheers!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment