Tuesday, July 21, 2020

2016  SETTESOLI  Nero D'Avola  Sicily, Italy. Since 1958

I was up at the Coop store Centerra today after work to pick up some fresh basil and Ciliegine mozzarella for Caprese salad on a stick. As I was on my way to the cooler where the olives and cheese are, I saw a center island with a number of Sicilian wines on it.

I recently read an article about the food and wine consumed in Sicily, and Greece that has been called the Mediterranean diet. It involves a much different approach than the American way to the work day, when meals are served, and what is eaten, and the wines served during those meals. Some of these areas have citizens who live a good, simple life and live a long life.

The Nero opens with an intriguing notes of cherry, grape, and tobacco leaf in the nose, the palate has matching flavors with a nice spicy component to it, and a juicy but not over the top fruity mouthfeel. It then finishes dry with a mild tannic dryness that is appealing, and a just right level of acidity.

This wine was very nice with the meal I prepared for myself tonight, it was warm enough today that I didn't want anything too heavy. So I made some stick Caprese salad, crumbled garlic and herb Feta, cherry tomatoes, 3 year old Cheddar, thin sliced landjaeger wurst, Red Hen Mad river Grain bread, and a few slices of good Prosciutto from Parma Italy.

I believe that the wine would also be quite good with wood oven fired thin crust pizza, red or white sauce.... you pick the toppings, this is a versatile wine. Grilled veggies marinated in good olive oil, fresh crushed garlic, and herbs comes to mind as another good pairing. Experiment with your own recipes and let all of us know what you liked...

Available at the Centerra Coop, and maybe the other 2 stores as well for $9.99 per bottle!
Are you kidding me?  You could make this your house wine for the summer season and not break the bank.... open the bottle and pour into a carafe for 30 to 45 minutes before serving, it got tastier the longer it was open...

I haven't seen it anywhere else, but I'll bet if you google it there's a few other retailers who carry it as well.

Prost, Cheers!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment