Tuesday, July 21, 2020

Mezzacorona  Rosé  Vigneti Delle Dolomiti  Italy

When the weather turns hot and humid like we have right now, we tend to sip on more white and rosé wines. We find them refreshing at the end of a long day, and they tend to be very food friendly as well.

I picked up this wine and another Rosé by Ménage a Trois at the West Lebanon Liquor outlet, the price was right on both and with the American wine case sale still going on I figured this was a good time to do some research so I can put together a case or two for the summer patio sipping season....

This Rosé opens with notes of ripe raspberries, strawberries, melon, and a hint of citrus in the nose. The palate tastes of strawberries, melon, the raspberry is there too, the citrus takes on a slight lemon flavor, there is a decent amount of acidity that cleanses the mouth nicely.

The grape used to make this vintage is a local grape variety called Teroldego, which grows well in the Dolomite Mountains of North East Italy. The winery uses other varieties depending on the vintage.

I tried this wine with the Quattro Stagione pizza from 3 Tomatoes in Lebanon, which has fire roasted peppers, mushrooms, artichokes, spinach, fresh garlic, and mozzarella with a base of their red sauce... it was a good pairing for the wine, the acidity was balanced out by the ingredients of the pie, and the flavors in both played well together.

What really surprised me was how well the wine paired with my dessert, which was a slice of strawberry rhubarb cake given to me by my wife's boss. Thank you Shirley!  It was a fantastic pairing, again the flavors in both danced with each other beautifully....

Available at the NH Liquor outlets for $8.99 per bottle, and I'm sure other online retailers. It's not an American wine, so it doesn't qualify for the 12 bottle 15% discount but I'm still going to get half a dozen to have this summer on those warm evenings.

I'll have a review shortly for the Ménage a Trois Rosé, my neighbor stopped by after work, we opened up the bottle, next thing we knew it was gone.... it was that tasty. So I'll  have to get another bottle to do a proper review. $9.99 per bottle and it is an American wine so it qualifies for the 12 or more case sale if you don't want to wait for the review....

Cheers!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment