Thursday, March 15, 2018

2012 Dr Konstantin Frank - Old Vines Pinot Noir Finger Lakes, NY





My first ever visit to a wine growing region included a visit to this winery, which has been a leader in producing world class wines since Dr Frank was the first in believing that Vinifera grapes could be grown in this area during the early 50's. They also were the first to make a quality Champagne in this region from the 3 traditional grapes used in France.

As I came through the front door of the winery I became aware that there was a heated discussion going on behind closed doors. I tried to be quiet and was taking a look around the tasting room area when the door to that back room flew open... Willy, son of Dr Frank came storming out and disappeared into the back of the winery, a minute later his son, Frederick came through the door and noticed me standing in the corner.

He asked me how long I'd been there, I guess from the look on my face he knew I'd heard the gist of the discussion. Fred apologized for me having to hear that, I told him that these things happen... winemaking involves passion and a belief in what you're doing.

This estate continues to produce world class dry, and off dry Rieslings, and Pinot Noir. They also produce good Champagne under the Chateau Frank label, Brut, Brut Rose (really good) and a bubbly from Riesling in a Cremant style, which is not to be missed if you like this grape....

This Pinot Noir from some of the oldest vines in the Finger Lakes, is quite nice. '12 was a good year in this region for the red grapes, the summer had a higher number of warm days than normal. Which allowed the grapes to develop a good balance of sugars, acidity, and flavors that don't always happen in this cool climate area.

At 5 years of age this wine is in it's sweet spot, now is the time to drink it. Beautiful notes of cherry, plum, a bit of cola, perfect spicy notes from barrel aging in the nose. Slightly tart cherry flavors, plum, berries, nice medium finish, which lingers in the mouth inviting you to take another sip... and has a beautiful color.

I paired this with a chicken Cordon Blue, and oven roasted herbed potato wedges.... a nice match.

This wine isn't available anywhere other than at the winery, or at select stores in NY State. If you have any interest in discovering wines, take the time to travel out to the Finger Lakes and spend a week or so, If you're like me you'll realize we've got a special area almost in our back yard.

Cheers!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment