Wednesday, March 21, 2018

2015 Frei Brothers Cabernet Sauvignon Sonoma Reserve



From the first time I opened a bottle of Frei Brothers Reserve Cabernet, I have liked this wine. I remember visiting my friend Dave at a camp belonging to his in-laws near Lunenberg Vt with a bottle of this wine from the 2007 vintage (great year) 

We opened the bottle and poured some into our glasses, it was nice from the start. But after 30 minutes or so the wine really opened up and made for delicious drinking. As it was getting on in the day, and we had an hour drive ahead of us to get home, I stuck the cork in the bottle and started to get up. Dave looks at me and says, "you're not going anywhere until we finish that bottle, that's really good" and that's what we did.... my wife drove home.

I have kept bottles from this winery in my cellar since that time, it's always good and in some vintages exceptional. I believe 2015 is one of those years that's special, and you should try it if you like a good hearty red wine that pairs well with a variety of meats from the grill or bbq.

First day, notes of blackberry, black raspberry, red berries, spice and the herbal notes a good Alexander Valley Cab is known for. The palate brings red berries, spice, tannins, and an extra layer of fruitiness that tells me this is a special vintage.

Day 2, this really deepened in the nose, a distinct blackberry pie smell, blueberries, more of the spice, black raspberry, so intriging.... all of the fruit is in the taste with a nice, plush mouthfeel and a lingering slightly drying finish.

Any tannins present were offset by the grilled Angus tips, half regular, half teriyaki from the Hanover Co-op I grilled up tonight.

Approachable now and quite good, but based on prior experience with this winery, I think if you laid some of this down in the cellar for 4 to 6 years you'd have something really nice. Perhaps purchase 6 bottles and open one every 6 months to judge it's progression.... definitely worth the price.

Available now on sale at NH Liquor outlets for $19.99, Total Wine has it for $19.49 every day....

(Dave, lets get together soon and try this vintage....)

Cheers,

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment