Thursday, March 15, 2018

Antico Sigillo 2014 Primitivo di Manduria Italy

Antico Sigillo 2014  Primitivo di Manduria  Italy


I went into the W. Lebanon liqour outlet store to look for an Italian red from Sicily that my wife saw on an episode of Rachel Ray; she used the wine in the making of a red sauce for pasta. It was a wine made from Nero D'avola, and the sauce sounded amazing. I did not find this particular wine, but they have several Nero's from good producers available at reasonable prices.

In the course of checking to see if the wine was available, the employee helping me suggested I take a look at one of the new power buy wines from Italy. She mentioned that it was selling briskly, (which usually means it's good , and a good price) so I brought a few bottles home with me.

This wine comes from the Apulia region, also known as the heel of the Italian boot. Manduria is the particular growing zone within Apulia known for producing quality Primitivo.

This opens with nice notes of dark berries, a bit of raspberry, a little tobacco leaf. On the palate it reminds me an American Zin, but not as robust or tannic, more approachable and smooth. I get red fruit, red plum, raspberry, very tasty... day 2 brought a deeper nose of dark berries, and more of a mouth coating effect. It has enough acidity to balance the plush feel, with a pleasant taste of berries lingering on the finish.

I enjoyed the pairing of this with oven roasted turkey, baked potatoes and gravy. I think it would be equally at home with all manner of grilled meats, and most Italian foods.

Available at the NH Liquor outlets for $9.99, (half price) and at other stores for between $11.00 and $15.00. Get in to one of the NH stores and try a bottle of this, I think once people realize how good a value it is, it'll disappear fast.... I know I'm going to get more.

Cheers!

Ed

1 comment: