Wednesday, April 11, 2018

2013 Chateau St Jean Alexander Valley Cabernet Sauvignon



I can't remember the first time I tried one of Ch St Jean's Alexander Valley Cab's, I do know it was after a visit to one of the Total Wine stores.

One of their employee's asked if he could help with any selections, I told him I was fond of the Alexander Valley Cab's, that they just made sense to my palate. He asked which ones I'd tried so far, listened to my list and suggested this winery. The winemaker is Margo Van Staaveren, and she's been making wine there for 37 years using fruit from a number of regions in California.

The bottle sat in my cellar for a month or so, until one night I purchased a nice NY Strip steak from the Co-op store, and wanted a nice Cab to go with the steak. I started poking around in the cellar and came across the 2012 which was quite good with the steak. I went back as soon as I good and bought more. For my palate there is something special about the match of grilled beef and red wines from the Alexander Valley, and a slice of garlic herb butter melted over the steak.

When first opened, notes of mild blackberry, red plums, and a hint of mixed berry pie in the nose, the palate has the blackberry along with black cherry, and a nice brightness to the fruit.

After 45 minutes the blackberry notes in the nose are distinct, along with blueberry, and bramble patch fruit, just a delight to smell, the palate has deepened but still has the right acidity to balance the lushness of the fruit.

 At almost 5 years of age it was perfect tonight with the Angus NY Strip steak grilled medium, baked potato with sour cream, and a side of grilled onions, garlic, and mushrooms.

Available at NH Liquor outlets for $29.99, Total wine has it for $19.99 and qualifies for a pick six price of $17.99 if you get 6 or more.... can you say road trip?

Cheers!

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment