Sunday, April 1, 2018

Simi Winery 2012 Landslide Vineyard Alexander Valley



Back in the mid 70's I was dating a girl from CT who spent the summers with her Aunt in Braintree VT, competing in English equestrian events. Her Aunt opened some bottles of Simi Cabernet to have with the wood fired grilled steaks for dinner one night. I didn't know much about wine at that time, but I remember I liked the flavor of the wine with the steaks, and the Simi name has stuck with me since.... and the memory of that summer when I was 17 and fresh out of high school....

Fast forward to 2010, and after work one day I walked into a NH Liquor store where a guy was pouring some free samples of wine. He asked if I liked red or white? Red I said, and he poured me some of the 2007 Simi Landslide Cabernet. The wine had been open for about an hour, and it was delicious.... (the '07 vintage was one of the best) the taste of the wine, and seeing the name on the bottle brought back a flood of memories revolving around that summer when I met this girl and was introduced to this winery.

Since then I have kept some of these bottles in my cellar, in most vintages the wine is very good and can be outstanding in great years. The vineyard has some unique geological soil features resulting from, yes, a huge landslide which created a special medium where Cabernet vines produce fruit that is distinctive, and really tasty!

When first opened, bright notes of black cherry, and red raspberry in the nose. Cherry, blackberry, and a minerality in the palate, along with fine tannins and a slightly tart finish. After an hour the blackberry is noticable in the nose, sharing space with the cherry notes. The palate is now mixed black fruit and more plush in the mouth, quite nice. Finishing with lingering fruit and a bit of fine tannins, really enjoyable to sip on....

I tried this wine with grilled Johnsonville cheddar brats, chicken bouillon rice, and green beans with bacon, garlic, and butter. An okay pairing, but grilled beef, pork, or chicken would be best in my opinion.

Available at Total wine stores for $26.00, $24.00 if you buy 6 or more wines in the "pick 6" category.
$35.00 thru NH Liquor outlets, sometimes NH will have sales which get you close enough to Total's prices that it saves the drive down to MA.

Cheers,

Ed

No comments:

Post a Comment