Monday, April 2, 2018

Simi 2012 Landslide, day 2



This wine has developed a beautiful nose with blue and black fruits sharing space, the blackberry is now there with the cherry, and a blueberry component. There is a spicy note as well, and a hint of cigar box that kept me giving this another swirl or two so I could smell the wine again...

This wine is not over extracted, the color is a nice brick red with a pleasant slightly thick mouth feel.
Elegant, one that doesn't overwhelm the mouth... while this wine has the ability to stand up to bbq, I can see this pairing with an herb crusted prime rib, a garlic/rosemary rack of lamb, pan seared beef or pork tenderloin medallions with a sauce of some sort.... perhaps with Morel mushrooms.

At 5 years of age in the bottle, this wine is in the sweet spot for my taste, I think it will hold for 2 or 3 more years easily. In good vintages I usually buy 6 and open a bottle upon purchase, and then every 6 to 9 months so I can judge when to try the next one. In vintages that are average this wine drinks well at release (3 years after vintage)

At about $25.00 a bottle it's not an everyday wine, but for special occasions this is a nice addition to anyone's collection... from what I read in vintage reports '13, '14, '15 should be be good. Of course each harvest brings subtle differences in the wine, but that's what makes tasting wine so fun.

Cheers!

Ed


No comments:

Post a Comment